This past weekend was productive -
Week night menu plan + groceries- check
Use up extremely ripe fruit - check
Use up fridge items that were taking up space - check
Laundry - check
Clean bathrooms - check
Finish up on Sons of Anarchy season 4 - check (yes I know we're behind!)
Spend time with the the kids and especially Mr. Mom - double check
This may not have been possible without gaining 1 hour sleep.....
Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut and Quinoa
2 Large Sweet Potatoes - peeled and cubed
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp water
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne powder
1) Steam your sweet potatoes - add 2 cups of water and prepped sweet potatoes to a pot with a lid. Steam potatoes by turing stove top to medium high. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until softened (poke with a fork). Set aside. *Or steam/soften any way you prefer
2) Add the 2 tbsp of water to a pot - add onion and soften (3 minutes)
3) Add qunioa and broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low then simmer for 15 minutes.
4) Add drained sweet potatoes, and puree with a hand held blender.
5) Add coconut milk and spices, sir, and increase heat to medium. Warm it to your preferred temperature,
This would be tasty served with cilantro.
The Original recipe is from "Quinoa 365 - The Everyday Superfood". It recommends serving with yogurt as well.
Can you tell this is my favourite cook book?